REASONS FOR PUNISHMENT IN THE GRAVE
- “The Messenger of Allah said: ‘Most of the torment of the grave is because of urine.'”
- The dead is punished in the grave because of wailing on it.
- The Prophet (ﷺ) once passed by two graves, and those two persons (in the graves) were being tortured. He said, “They are being tortured not for a great thing (to avoid). One of them never saved himself from being soiled with his urine, while the other went about committing slander (to make enmity between friends). He then took a green leaf of a date-palm tree split it into two pieces and fixed one on each grave. The people said, “O Allah’s Messenger (ﷺ)! Why have you done so?” He replied, “I hope that their punishment may be lessened till they (the leaf) become dry.”
“When ‘Uthman bin ‘Affan stood beside a grave, he would weep until his beard became wet. It was said to him: ‘You remember Paradise and Hell, and you do not weep, but you weep for this?’ He said: ‘The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said: “The grave is the first stage of the Hereafter. Whoever is delivered from it, what comes after it is easier. If he is not delivered from it, then what comes after it is harder.’” He said that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said: “I have never seen any horrible scene but the grave is more horrible.”
THE DEAD HEARS US IN THE GRAVE
“When a person is placed in his grave and his companions depart from him, he hears the sound of their sandals.”
- “Visit the graves, for they will remind you of the Hereafter.”
- “The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) cursed women who visit graves.”
PUNISHMENT IS TRUE
“When died this man die?” They said: “he died during the Jahiliyyah.” So he was delighted and said: “Were it not that you would not bury one another, I would have prayed to Allah to make you hear the torment of the grave.”
GRAVE OF A MU’MIN
Narrated Anas: The Prophet said, “When a human being is laid in his grave and his companions return and he even hears their foot steps, two angels come to him and make him sit and ask him: What did you use to say about this man, Muhammad ? He will say: I testify that he is Allah’s slave and His Apostle. Then it will be said to him, ‘Look at your place in the Hell-Fire. Allah has given you a place in Paradise instead of it.’ ” The Prophet added, “The dead person will see both his places. But a non-believer or a hypocrite will say to the angels, ‘I do not know, but I used to say what the people used to say! It will be said to him, ‘Neither did you know nor did you take the guidance (by reciting the Quran).’ Then he will be hit with an iron hammer between his two ears, and he will cry and that cry will be heard by whatever approaches him except human beings and jinns.” Volume 2, Book 23, Number 422
ALLAH WILL KEEP A MU’MIN FIRM
Narrated Al-Bara’ bin ‘Azib : The Prophet (p.b.u.h) said, “When a faithful believer is made to sit in his grave, then (the angels) come to him and he testifies that none has the right to be worshipped but Allah and Muhammad is Allah’s Apostle. And that corresponds to Allah’s statement: Allah will keep firm those who believe with the word that stands firm . . . (14.27). Volume 2, Book 23, Number 450
KNOWING MORE QUR’AN IS AN HONOR
Narrated Jabir bin ‘Abdullah: Allah’s Apostle shrouded every two martyrs of Uhud in one piece of cloth and then he would ask, “Which of them knew more Quran?” When one of them was pointed out he would put him first in the grave. He said, “I am a witness on these.” Then he ordered them to be buried with blood on their bodies. Neither did he offer their funeral prayer nor did he get them washed. (Jabir bin Abdullah added): Allah’s Apostle used to ask about the martyrs of Uhud as to which of them knew more of the Quran.” And when one of them was pointed out as having more of it he would put him first in the grave and then his companions. (Jabir added): My father and my uncle were shrouded in one sheet. Volume 2, Book 23, Number 431
MARTYR’S BODY: SAME AS BURIED
Narrated Jabir: When the time of the Battle of Uhud approached, my father called me at night and said, “I think that I will be the first amongst the companions of the Prophet to be martyred. I do not leave anyone after me dearer to me than you, except Allah’s Apostle’s soul and I owe some debt and you should repay it and treat your sisters favorably (nicely and politely).” So in the morning he was the first to be martyred and was buried along with another (martyr). I did not like to leave him with the other (martyr) so I took him out of the grave after six months of his burial and he was in the same condition as he was on the day of burial, except a slight change near his ear. Volume 2, Book 23, Number 434
ASKING FOR FORGIVENESS
The Apostle of Allah (ﷺ) visited the grave of his mother and he wept, and moved others around him to tears, and said: I sought permission from my Lord to beg forgiveness for her but it was not granted to me, and I sought permission to visit her grave and it was granted to me so visit the graves, for that makes you mindful of death.
DO NOT SIT ON GRAVE
The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) as saying: It is better that one of you should sit on the live coals which burns his clothing and come in contact with his skin than that he should sit on a grave.
NOT PRAYING IN A HOUSE TURNS IT INTO GRAVE
Offer some of your prayers in your houses, and do not make them graves.
CONDITION IN THE GRAVE
“When the deceased enters the grave, the sun is made to appear as if it is setting. He sits up, wipes his eyes and says: ‘Let me pray.’”
PREPARE FOR A DAY LIKE THIS
He also preached at burial grounds. Imam Ahmad narrates through Al-Bara ibn’Azib RA who said, “While we were with the Messenger of Allah (PBUH), he suddenly looked towards a group of people and said, “For what reason have they gathered there?” it was said, “In order to dig a grave.” So the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) became alarmed and quickly went ahead of the Companions until he reached the grave, then he knelt upon it and I turned my face towards him to see what he was doing. He cried until the earth became wet with tears, then he turned to us and said, “O my brothers, Prepare for a day like this.” PAGE 19 ON THE MOUNTAIN PEAK
ENSHROUD ME IN TWO CLOAKS AND A ROBE
It was narrated to us by Abu Ja’far Muhammd ibn ‘Ali al-Warraq that Abdillah ibn Buraydah reported ‘Abdillah ibn Mughaffal to have stated, “When I die, ensure that my last wash is with camphor, Enshroud me in two cloaks and a robe, for verily this was done for the Prophet (PBUH).
THE DECEASED IS RESURRECTED IN THE CLOTHES WORN WHEN HIS SOUL IS SNATCHED AWAY
Abu Sa’id al-Khudri stated, “I heard the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) say, ‘The deceased is resurrected in the clothes worn when his soul is snatched away’.
WHERE ARE YOU TAKING ME?
Narrated Abu Sa`id Al-Khudri: The Prophet (ﷺ) said, “When a funeral is ready and the men carry the deceased on their necks (shoulders), if it was pious then it will say, ‘Present me quickly’, and if it was not pious, then it will say, ‘Woe to it (me), where are they taking it (me)?’ And its voice is heard by everything except mankind and if he heard it he would fall unconscious.” Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 1316
FILL MY GRAVE WELL
Abi Abdillah ‘Amr ibn al-As said, “When you bury me, fill my grave well with earth, then stand around it for the time within which a camel is slaughtered and its meat is distributed so that I may enjoy your presence and ascertain what answer I can give to the angels of my Lord.”
- “I heard the Messenger of Allah after that seeking refuge with Allah from the torment of the grave.”
- I heard the Prophet (ﷺ) seeking refuge with Allah from the punishment of the grave.
- ” O Allah, I seek refuge in Thee from incapacity, from indolence, from cowardice, from senility, from miserliness, and I seek refuge in Thee from the torment of the grave and from trial of the life and death.
HOW TO SAVE
- “Allah keeps those who believe steadfast with firm word in this world and the Hereafter” was revealed in connection with the torment of the grave.
- I heard the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) say: Keeping watch for a day and a night is better (in point of reward) than fasting for a whole month and standing in prayer every night. If a person dies (while, performing this duty), his (meritorious) activity will continue and he will go on receiving his reward for it perpetually and will be saved from the torture of the grave.
DU’A FOR PROTECTION FROM PUNISHMENT IN THE GRAVE
Anas b. Malik said:
The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) used to say: “O Allah, I seek refuge in You from weakness, and laziness, and cowardice, and old age, and I seek refuge in You from the punishment of the grave, and I seek refuge in You from the trails of the life and death.”
حَدَّثَنَا مُسَدَّدٌ، أَخْبَرَنَا الْمُعْتَمِرُ، قَالَ سَمِعْتُ أَبِي قَالَ، سَمِعْتُ أَنَسَ بْنَ مَالِكٍ، يَقُولُ كَانَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم يَقُولُ “ اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أَعُوذُ بِكَ مِنَ الْعَجْزِ وَالْكَسَلِ وَالْجُبْنِ وَالْبُخْلِ وَالْهَرَمِ وَأَعُوذُ بِكَ مِنْ عَذَابِ الْقَبْرِ وَأَعُوذُ بِكَ مِنْ فِتْنَةِ الْمَحْيَا وَالْمَمَاتِ ” .
Grade: Sahih (Al-Albani) صحيح (الألباني) حكم :
Reference : Sunan Abi Dawud 1540
- The End Series – 2 – Escaping of the Soul – Belal Assaad
- The Grave – Abu Ibraheem Husnayn
- الدعاء ( ١٢ ) اللهم إني أعوذ بك من العجز والكسل
- Day of Judgment
- من هم المعذبون فى القبر ؟ وماذا يحدث لهم فى أول ليلة ؟ وماذا يقول الله لهم ؟ فيديو يبكى الحجر !!
- أول ساعة فى القبر ؟ ماذا يحدث لجسد للانسان عند ضمة القبر؟ ستنصدم من شدة الاجابة
- أول ليلة فى القبر