One of the names of the Day of Judgment is Youmul Hasrah (Day of Regret)
[For such is the state of the disbelievers], until, when death comes to one of them, he says, “My Lord, send me back
That I might do righteousness in that which I left behind.” No! It is only a word he is saying; and behind them is a barrier until the Day they are resurrected. Sura Mu’minoon
Those who followed will say, “If only we had another turn [at worldly life] so we could disassociate ourselves from them as they have disassociated themselves from us.” Thus will Allah show them their deeds as regrets upon them. And they are never to emerge from the Fire. Sura Baqarah 167
grief, sorrow, pain, distress, affliction, sigh
what a pity! too bad!
1. Deeds were not accepted because of shirk – Allah only accepts deeds done for Him alone. DEEDS DONE FOR HIM ALONE.
Abu Huraira reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “Verily, the first people to be judged on the Day of Resurrection will be a man who was martyred. He will be brought, the blessings of Allah will be made known and he will acknowledge them. Allah will say: What did you do about them? The man will say: I fought in your cause until I was martyred. Allah will say: You have lied, for you fought only that it would be said you were brave, and thus it was said. Then, Allah will order him to be dragged upon his face until he is cast into Hellfire. Another man studied religious knowledge, taught others, and recited the Quran. He will be brought, the blessings of Allah will be made known and he will acknowledge them. Allah will say: What did you do about them? The man will say: I learned religious knowledge, taught others, and I recited the Quran for your sake. Allah will say: You have lied, for you studied only that it would be said you are a scholar and you recited the Quran only that it would be said you are a reciter, and thus it was said. Then, Allah will order him to be dragged upon his face until he is cast into Hellfire. Another man was given an abundance of blessings from Allah and every kind of wealth. He will be brought, the blessings of Allah will be made known and he will acknowledge them. Allah will say: What did you do about them? The man will say: I did not leave any good cause beloved to you but that I spent on it for your sake. Allah will say: You have lied, for you spent only that it would be said you are generous, and thus it was said. Then, Allah will order him to be dragged upon his face until he is cast into Hellfire.”
2. I had opportunities but did not utilize them – I turned down many opportunities – building masjid, feeding the needy, helping orphans, helping the disabled, blind, etc. etc.
So as for the orphan, do not oppress [him].
And as for the petitioner, do not repel [him]. Sura Duha
3. Deeds were not accepted because they did not follow the method of the Prophet PBUH. The Quran cleary says follow the Prophet pbuh but I did not pay attention.
He who obeys the Messenger has obeyed Allah ; but those who turn away – We have not sent you over them as a guardian. Sura Nisa
4. Deeds are going to someone
Abu Huraira reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “Do you know who is bankrupt?” They said, “The one without money or goods is bankrupt.” The Prophet said, “Verily, the bankrupt of my nation are those who come on the Day of Resurrection with prayers, fasting, and charity, but also with insults, slander, consuming wealth, shedding blood, and beating others. The oppressed will each be given from his good deeds. If his good deeds run out before justice is fulfilled, then their sins will be cast upon him and he will be thrown into the Hellfire.”
5. I did not leave behind three things – sadaqa jariyah, ilmun nafi’un, waladun salih
6. I neither read the Qur’an nor tried to understand what the message was, although it was sitting on my desk.
And the Messenger has said, “O my Lord, indeed my people have taken this Qur’an as [a thing] abandoned.” Sura Furqan
7. I did not follow the teachings of the Qur’an as I was busy with other things.
Indeed, this Qur’an guides to that which is most suitable and gives good tidings to the believers who do righteous deeds that they will have a great reward. Sura Isra
8. I doubted whether there really was a Day of Judgment — after all, everything looks so solid, permanent
And we used to enter into vain discourse with those who engaged [in it], And we used to deny the Day of Recompense, Until there came to us the certainty.”Sura Muddathir
9. I didn’t realize death would come so quickly… I thought I would live a long life. I wanted to do many good deeds in later life but alas! Suddenly I no longer have the opportunity.
O you who have believed, let not your wealth and your children divert you from remembrance of Allah . And whoever does that – then those are the losers. And spend [in the way of Allah ] from what We have provided you before death approaches one of you and he says, “My Lord, if only You would delay me for a brief term so I would give charity and be among the righteous.” But never will Allah delay a soul when its time has come. And Allah is Acquainted with what you do. Sura Munafiqoon
10. I invested my entire faculty of thinking, hearing, and listening for earning this world, buying cars, trucks of the latest model, houses, sending nothing for the Hereafter
And brought [within view], that Day, is Hell – that Day, man will remember, but what good to him will be the remembrance? He will say, “Oh, I wish I had sent ahead [some good] for my life.”Sura Fajr
11. I had serious doubts whether a dead person would be raised up again – rotten bones – – raised up again? How is that possible? Sura Yasin
12. Even though I knew it, I did not make the Hereafter my primary concern. In fact this was the least of my concerns. Sura Naziat
13. I did not take advantage of Ramadan, Lailatul Qadr, Hajj, Umrah — all those opportunities are now lost
Sura Qadr – one night is better than thousand months
14. I left a huge amount of debt in the world, now this has to be paid on the Day of Judgement for people are asking me, every single penny, for Allah does not do zulm to any one find the verse
15. I did not realize that each and every act of my entire life would be recorded in such minutest details – nothing, absolutely nothing, is missing from the book of records. Every time I used foul language, it is recorded. Every time I visited the masjid, it is recorded. Even the intention is there – very, very clearly! Subhanallah!
16. I did not realize my deeds, good or bad, will be measured like this…every action has gone to the left hand angel or the right hand angel — there is nothing recorded by the middle angel for there is no middle angel
Sura Al Qari’ah
17. I left a fat bank balance… this is not helping me at all in the Hereafter
youma la yanfau Sura 26:88
18. I spent my entire life spending for the well being of my children… alas! relationships are not helpful at all in the Hereafter unless the relatives follow the path of piety too
Hadith there are three places where no one will look at anyone else – when the deeds are measured, when the book is given and when the bridge is crossed.
19. I looked at people who followed Islam with contempt, and thought they were so … old fashioned, and thought the Qur’an was a book of stories and nothing but stories – here I am a modern man / woman who has to follow the times of this world — I can’t be called old fashioned!
20. I followed the teachings of the Qur’an only partially, whatever suited me, and rejected others, whatever I didn’t feel like sura Baqara afa tu’minu
21. I did not pray five times salah as was required, whatever I did, I did lazily. I did not realize this will be the first question asked in Day of Judgment even though I was reminded over and over again. Sura Muddathir
22. I did not understand the meaning of tawheed, and did not make an effort to understand what it really meant Sura Nisaa 116
23. I didn’t give a thought how I came into existence from a drop of dirty water, but as soon as I became independent (relatively), I thought – who do I care? Sura Layl
24. I ignored the teachings of the Prophet PBUH even though I read in the Qur’an “In the Prophet is the best example” for you to follow Sura Ahzab 21
25. I thought my dollars earned were a result of my hard work, my knowledge, my know how, my degree, my ability to analyze, foresee, forecast, predict. Inna utikum
26. Why do I need to ask forgiveness? What wrong did I do? I am not a criminal. I don’t see any fault in myself except goodness. Yes, few things here and there – we all have that. Ma taraka min
27. I followed my leaders, my gurus, and they only led me into the hellfire
28. I DIDNT REALIZE LIFE WAS A TEST with limited time for answering the questions. Like any other test in life. Sura Mulk
Will you (and I) regret when the time of death comes, and we realize there is no turning back to what we left behind?
Realize the importance of breath of life while we still have it – for it is Allah and Him alone who can give it, who can take it away at any time with notice or without notice.
Turn to Allah today. For tomorrow may be too late. Seek His guidance in sujood. Ask Him to guide you. Inshallah this will be a Day of raising status for us.
Opportunities are presented to us. Every single day. Some take advantage. Some don’t.
May Allah guide us all.
Like everyone else, you and I are only allowed to breathe, walk, sleep on this earth for a limited number of hours. Once that allotted quota is over — it’s time to go!
Nothing was yours, nothing is yours, nothing will be yours.
Entry = Exit = Empty handed
It’s not that you will be able to skip the graveyard. No way. No way. No way.
Then why not take heed now?
Allah knows best.
- What does taghaabun mean in Islam? Explanation of the Arabic word taghaabun (great loss or deprivation)
- In Hell Forever – “Our Lord — Let us Try Again”. Hellfire is something not to be taken lightly
- Hasrat. By Sh Salih Al Munajjid
- “Would That I Knew…” Sheikh Muhammad Al-Mukhtar Ash-Shinqitee
- The Day of Regret Ustadh Abdul Rashid